Spooky 3D Model by 3D Slicer Software

photo (2)

I am finally working on my first 3D printing project. The first step (converting DICOM to STL)  is taking me quite awhile, which includes learning a free open source software 3D Slicer. Incidentally, I found a way to make a visual 3D graphics ( aka anaglyphs, see below).

Put on your 3D glasses! Some of my friends think this is spooky. I will keep you posted and hopefully we will see some progress by the end of this week.

photo (2)

hchen23

Neuroradiologist by trade, enthusiast for big data, digital marketing, 3D printing in healthcare

7 Responses

1. Muhammad InameKhuda says:

3D imaging looks fascinating, but I wonder of its utility for a clinical neurologist, like me, who takes vital decisions in patients’ management. After all we have to look at the whole picture and many times it is the same old clinical method that proves more useful than any thing alse.

2. hchen23 says:

Very true. Application of 3dprinting is the key to the future of the industry itself. Lots of creativity is necessary, but hopefully the hardwares and material science will accelerate the growth as well.

• Muhammad InameKhuda says:

Honestly, I don’t think you can solve the mysteries of physiological and pathological processes of brain, just by looking at it in a better way, I think you will need ways to detect circuits, the pathways they take in a functioning brain, perhaps an interface between electroencephalography and brain imaging will be much more useful for a clinical neurologist. Currently we do have such interfaces but they make the use of scalp EEG which is not a pure correlate of brain electrical activity.

• WordPress.com Support says:

I think 3dprinting will solve a different set of problems. There are ongoing research in the other areas in neuroscience to solve the problem you are talking about

• Muhammad InameKhuda says:

You know I appreciate your work, but I am interested in knowing what set of clinical problems would your 3d imaging will solve that are not adequately addressed by current conventional imaging techniques.

• WordPress.com Support says:

• WordPress.com Support says:

medical imaging helps with 3d printing, but the two are two very different things